Friday, February 09, 2007

Muffs: On Life in Washington, D.C.

There are many reasons not to like living in Washington, D.C. For one, the Southerners. For another, the ex-girlfriends. For another one, the lack of good pizza. Oh, and all of the shootings are disconcerting as well.

But, the truth is, I think that this is where I belong. I find this out in many different ways on many different occasions. Like, the earmuffs. A couple of weeks ago, on a very cold night, I slipped on a pair of these, which earned me poorly-timed laughter and derision from The Canadian. There wasn't much I could say-- the muffs are essentially the pleated khakis of winter headwear. But no matter. I predicted that I was merely the start of a trend, and the stupid things would be everywhere soon.

And sure enough, owing to the dorky fashion sense of this city, where it is ok to wear your work ID around you neck on the metro, I am the harbinger of a trend. I was even accosted in a deli the other morning, where I stopped in to order a delicious breakfast sandwich, by another washington officer worker asking me who makes the muffs. Now, I don't often start trends, so I think I finally found my place.

All of which is to say, I will be the envy of an entire city when I get my hands on these.

No comments:


Visitorfarts