Thursday, November 29, 2007

TMQ Haiku

Regular .gov readers of this site know that I have historically been very enthusiastic about TMQ, the very long football column that was first on Slate, then on ESPN, then on Football Outsiders, then on NFL.com, and then back on ESPN. It contains a lot of information about football, and takes up a huge chunk of Tuesday to read it.

I haven't had much to say about TMQ recently because, well, I'm still feeling guilty about not writing the baseball post in the spring, so I haven't been blogging, and because I'm kind of over the schtick of the TMQ author, Gregg Easterbrook. He writes like an pretentious arrogant prick, and I've usually thought that was mostly an act, but really I'm not sure. The good folks at Kissing Suzy Kolber kind of turned me around on the guy. I still read him, but the spark is gone.

Anyway, this past week, his column hit kind of close to home. It ended thusly:

Bonus Obscure Score: St. John Fisher 38, Curry 7. (Division III playoffs.) Located in Rochester, N.Y., St. John Fisher College has a school of nursing endowed by Robert Wegman, founder of the supermarket chain. Located mainly in non-booming old-industrial areas such as upstate New York and central Pennsylvania, Wegmans are the greatest supermarkets out there. Many Wegmans have entire internal food courts of higher quality than most delis and Italian restaurants. When, oh when, will a Wegmans open near me?
One of the pretentious prick things about TMQ is that he likes to post haikus by his readers. And make no mistake, I'm a pretentious prick myself. So I sent this email to TMQ:

Gregg,

Please do not despair
Wegmans abounds in NoVA
And soon: Frederick.


http://www.wegmans.com/about/storeLocator/


Cheers,

Weddingfarts (in Washington, D.C., by way of Rochester, N.Y.)
To which I received an automated response from TMQ promoting his book that has nothing to do about football. To which I say: eh. (I'd post the response here, but I haven't asked for his permission, and I think that's poor blog etiquette. I may be a prick, but I'm always polite.)

No comments:


Visitorfarts